Christian Headbangers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Thread For Movies

+3
Zymologist
Kerrick
MetalPioneer
7 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Thread For Movies Empty The Thread For Movies

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:23 am

This is the spot to discuss what flicks you recently watched, are looking forward to seeing, or your favorite classics!

I recently bought the Clint Eastwood / Sergio Leone "Man With No Name" trilogy on blu-ray.  I haven't seen any of them for a looooong time and my wife has never seen these classics.  This evening the plan is to go over to my parents' house for dinner and watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.  Should be a good time.  Smile
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

The Thread For Movies Empty Re: The Thread For Movies

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm

I've started to really dig the unorthodox, weird filmmakers. My most recent revelation are the guys behind Resolution and The Endless...they're both low-budget, slow burns, but funny and really bizarre.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Director S. Craig Zahler is 2 for 2 so far for putting out personal favorites of mine: Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Both movies are at times hilarious (due to the brilliantly odd, off-kilter dialogue) and extremely--even shockingly--violent at times. You've been warned.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:51 pm

I look forward to talking movies with you more; I think we have very similar tastes...

Zymologist wrote:I've started to really dig the unorthodox, weird filmmakers. My most recent revelation are the guys behind Resolution and The Endless...they're both low-budget, slow burns, but funny and really bizarre.

Both of these have been on my watch-list for a while now.  They look mighty good.  Did you see The Invitation?  It's good but not great, though I think you'd dig it.

Zymologist wrote:Director S. Craig Zahler is 2 for 2 so far for putting out personal favorites of mine: Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Both movies are at times hilarious (due to the brilliantly odd, off-kilter dialogue) and extremely--even shockingly--violent at times. You've been warned.

Bone Tomahawk was fantastic!  One scene towards the end I looked away for but yes that movie was so good.  I haven't watched Brawl... yet and have been going back and forth whether I want to watch it or not since it does look like it'll be pretty dang brutal...  Speaking of brutal but very good movies, have you seen The Proposition?  It's stellar.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Kerrick wrote:I look forward to talking movies with you more; I think we have very similar tastes...

Zymologist wrote:I've started to really dig the unorthodox, weird filmmakers. My most recent revelation are the guys behind Resolution and The Endless...they're both low-budget, slow burns, but funny and really bizarre.

Both of these have been on my watch-list for a while now.  They look mighty good.  Did you see The Invitation?  It's good but not great, though I think you'd dig it.

Zymologist wrote:Director S. Craig Zahler is 2 for 2 so far for putting out personal favorites of mine: Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Both movies are at times hilarious (due to the brilliantly odd, off-kilter dialogue) and extremely--even shockingly--violent at times. You've been warned.

Bone Tomahawk was fantastic!  One scene towards the end I looked away for but yes that movie was so good.  I haven't watched Brawl... yet and have been going back and forth whether I want to watch it or not since it does look like it'll be pretty dang brutal...  Speaking of brutal but very good movies, have you seen The Proposition?  It's stellar.

The Invitation was good, yeah. Not as good as Resolution and The Endless, though. Watch them!

Brawl is IMO the superior movie (keeping in mind that I love Bone Tomahawk). It's not quite as overtly gruesome as "that scene" in Bone Tomahawk, but the violence is more...I dunno, realistic? So for that reason it might be considered more brutal, albeit a little less gruesome. Haven't seen The Proposition.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Also worth noting about Brawl: you've probably only seen Vince Vaughn in rom-coms before this, and holy cow is he made for other roles. What a killer performance.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:16 pm

The Proposition sounds great. Is that streaming anywhere? Yeah, it sounds like we share similar tastes...cool!

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Alright it's settled: Brawl... is going on the ever-growing watch-list.   Cool  And I'll definitely watch the other two you mentioned.

I have The Proposition on blu-ray and am not sure if it's streaming or not.  I don't want to talk it up too much... but it's really really good.  Smile

Another one that doesn't get much attention but is a heck of a lot of fun is Housebound.  It's a silly horror/comedy from New Zealand with plenty of twists and turns, goofy tropes, suspense, and clever writing.  It's about a young woman who is put on house arrest under the care of her mother... but it'd seem that there's something lurking in the shadows...  Don't watch the trailers since they'll give some of the plot away, just watch the movie.  You won't be disappointed.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Oh yeah, Housebound is great. I've seen that one a few times.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Nice!
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:32 am

Kerrick wrote:This is the spot to discuss what flicks you recently watched, are looking forward to seeing, or your favorite classics!

I recently bought the Clint Eastwood / Sergio Leone "Man With No Name" trilogy on blu-ray.  I haven't seen any of them for a looooong time and my wife has never seen these classics.  This evening the plan is to go over to my parents' house for dinner and watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.  Should be a good time.  Smile

I have that trilogy on blu-ray as well.  The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favorite Western movie of all time.  It doesn't get any better...and that soundtrack!!!

As for movies I've seen recently...I'm really big into scifi stuff and saw the Predators movie a few weeks ago.  It was more or less an adult comedy with Predator lore and violence thrown in...still not sure what I think about it.  I like the Alien franchise much better overall, though.  I'll probably see the Venom movie here soon.  Tom Hardy is a great actor even if reviews of the movie aren't very good.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Kerrick, I should also add to make sure you watch Resolution first, and then The Endless.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Adam, you'd be so proud of me: I watched Resolution last night.  Smile  I really liked it a lot; thank you for encouraging me to watch it!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, particularly the ending.  Also...

Spoiler:

EDIT: I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/1qv2hy/discussion_about_film_resolution_spoilers_ending/
It's an interesting take, if not somewhat disappointing.  It was written before The Endless came out which apparently ties into this "world"/story so maybe I should wait to watch that one before I further analyze...
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 am

Kerrick wrote:Adam, you'd be so proud of me: I watched Resolution last night.  Smile  I really liked it a lot; thank you for encouraging me to watch it!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, particularly the ending.  Also...

Spoiler:

EDIT: I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/1qv2hy/discussion_about_film_resolution_spoilers_ending/
It's an interesting take, if not somewhat disappointing.  It was written before The Endless came out which apparently ties into this "world"/story so maybe I should wait to watch that one before I further analyze...

Yeah, I've seen that theory before. And although The Endless may or may not tie in to Resolution...yes, you should watch that one soon, too. Very Happy

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 am

Haha alrighty then!  It's on Amazon to rent for cheap so hopefully I'll have an opportunity soon.  I watched Resolution while my wife and daughter were napping.  Next evening nap for them shall be my time for The Endless.  Very Happy
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm

The Endless is also on Netflix, although for some reason Resolution isn't.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Cool.  Maybe my parents will share their Netflix password with me...  I had to pay $4 to rent Resolution from Amazon which seems a little steep but that's fine.  Hopefully most of the money from rentals goes to the filmmakers.

Speaking of indie sci-fi flicks, my cousin's debut movie is making its rounds at film festivals now and is apparently garnering quite positive responses.  I look forward to seeing it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7946422/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Yeah, I thought Prospect looked interesting, and I'm a sucker for sci-fi anyway.

But...your cousin! Crazy.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Cool!  Well technically my cousin-in-law?  (Zeek married my cousin so...)  Anyways, they've been working on this one for a while.  You can see the short film (also titled Prospect) which earned them this opportunity to move to the big screen.

Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:01 pm

I watched The Endless last night!  I really liked it a lot, probably better than Resolution.

Spoiler:
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Yeah, I think I prefer The Endless to Resolution as well, and the ending somehow fits. In case you didn't know, the brothers in The Endless are portrayed by the two directors.

Do you care for martial arts movies at all? The Raid and The Raid 2 are movies I would list as among the best action flicks ever. The Raid is shorter, more contained and more straightforward; The Raid 2 takes everything from The Raid 2--including plot--and dials it to 11 and then some. Absolutely insane, and I love it.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am

I've heard consistently good things about those movies though am yet to see them.

Though to be honest, my enjoyment of violent action flicks has diminished some over the years.  I used to watch any and all hard-R rated movies but as time goes by, I've become a little more picky.  I think watching Funny Games had a big part in that.  Have you seen it Adam?  I cautiously recommend it.  It's a very well done movie which really gets in your head that no other movie has for me.  It's intentionally not a particularly "enjoyable" movie and took me a long time after viewing it for me to appreciate it.  Nonetheless, it made me do some introspection of my own enjoyment of violent movies.

That being said, I still love campy horror flicks, war movies, etc.  But something like Taken or John Wick has pretty much no allure for me anymore.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am

I'm familiar with Funny Games, though I haven't seen it.

And I understand--don't worry about my recs, it won't bother me if you disregard some of them.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Zymologist Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:25 am

Ok, here's a (probably) dumb question: have you seen The Conjuring? It's IMO a really creepy horror, and what I would consider very nearly a Christian horror movie.

Conjuring 2 is alright--not as good, but still worthwhile. I've seen The Nun (meh) and the second Annabelle movie, which was also kind of meh.

Zymologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 pm

I have not seen any of those though have been wanting to see The Conjuring for a while.  Friends who enjoy horror flicks are hard to come by...  My wife likes some (The Cabin In The Woods, The Fly...) but I don't think she'd be down with The Conjuring.  It might be another one of those Kerrick-watches-on-his-laptop-while-his-wife-and-daughter-nap type movies.   Cool
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next