Christian Headbangers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Band Recommendations

+4
Mordgier
aaljunior
deathisgain
MetalPioneer
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Band Recommendations  Empty Band Recommendations

Post by MetalPioneer Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 pm

If you are looking for a Christian band that "sound like" a secular band, or just want more options in a specific subgenre, please post your queries here.  Or, if you want to recommend a band to other members, you can also post that in this thread.

Examples and Hypothetical Situations:

1.  Looking for Christian bands that "sound like" Metallica
2.  Searching for additional Christian doom metal bands
3.  Trying to find any bands or albums that sound similar to Zao's Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
4.  You want to recommend a new band that you just found to the other members

Keep it metal!  cheers
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Band Recommendations  Empty Re: Band Recommendations

Post by MetalPioneer Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

I really love progressive death metal and I'm always on the search for new bands in that area.  My favorite band used to be Becoming the Archetype (until Jason left).  Does anyone have any recommendations?  In the secular realm, I really like music like Ne Obliviscaris and In Vain, who use instruments such as violins and saxophones.  I'm also a fan of stuff like Gojira, Benea Reach, and Opeth.

I already know and frequently listen to these bands:  Extol, Pantokrator, Fleshkiller, Malchus, Aletheian, Lamentations, Death Requisite, Blood Thirsty, Monotheist, Deus Invictus
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Have you listened to Vardoger's full-length?  It's one of my top favorite albums released in the past few years and never gets old for me.  I highly recommend.  Not as progressive, but I've also been unable to put down Renascent's latest either.  And since you know Pantokrator, I assume you're familiar with Melech?  If not, you need to remedy that!  And same goes for Solamors since you mentioned BTA and Aletheian.  Syringe is great but I'm sure you already are familiar with them.  That's all I can think of for the moment.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am

Kerrick wrote:Have you listened to Vardoger's full-length?  It's one of my top favorite albums released in the past few years and never gets old for me.  I highly recommend.  Not as progressive, but I've also been unable to put down Renascent's latest either.  And since you know Pantokrator, I assume you're familiar with Melech?  If not, you need to remedy that!  And same goes for Solamors since you mentioned BTA and Aletheian.  Syringe is great but I'm sure you already are familiar with them.  That's all I can think of for the moment.

I have the Vardoger album.  It's okay for me, but I could never really get too much into it for some reason.  I've listened a little bit to Melech, but I need to pick that album up.  I have the Solamors album and I am also familiar with Syringe.  

I listened to Renascent some a number of years ago, but have not heard their most current album.  I will definitely investigate and give it a spin. Thanks!
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:52 pm

MetalPioneer wrote:
Kerrick wrote:Have you listened to Vardoger's full-length?  It's one of my top favorite albums released in the past few years and never gets old for me.  I highly recommend.  Not as progressive, but I've also been unable to put down Renascent's latest either.  And since you know Pantokrator, I assume you're familiar with Melech?  If not, you need to remedy that!  And same goes for Solamors since you mentioned BTA and Aletheian.  Syringe is great but I'm sure you already are familiar with them.  That's all I can think of for the moment.

I have the Vardoger album.  It's okay for me, but I could never really get too much into it for some reason.  I've listened a little bit to Melech, but I need to pick that album up.  I have the Solamors album and I am also familiar with Syringe.  

I listened to Renascent some a number of years ago, but have not heard their most current album.  I will definitely investigate and give it a spin. Thanks!

That Solamors album never really did it for me. But I also didn't like "Physics of Fire", which Alex did both, so maybe I'm not a fan of his style.

deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm

MetalPioneer wrote:I have the Vardoger album.  It's okay for me, but I could never really get too much into it for some reason.  I've listened a little bit to Melech, but I need to pick that album up.  I have the Solamors album and I am also familiar with Syringe.  

Gotcha.  The Melech album is very good.  The latest Renascent continues where the last one left off but I think improves upon it.  I was just cranking it LOUD whilst running errands the other day and it was great.  Smile

deathisgain wrote:That Solamors album never really did it for me. But I also didn't like "Physics of Fire", which Alex did both, so maybe I'm not a fan of his style.

Neither Solamors nor Physics Of Fire are albums I frequently listen to, though they're pretty good IMO.  Do you like Aletheian?

Also, who let DIG on here???  I thought we all agreed that we would not let him join, no matter what the cost?!?   Razz
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Kerrick wrote:Neither Solamors nor Physics Of Fire are albums I frequently listen to, though they're pretty good IMO.  Do you like Aletheian?

Also, who let DIG on here???  I thought we all agreed that we would not let him join, no matter what the cost?!?   Razz

I never got into them either, so it must be I don't like his style. And talking about being on here, some one has a new baby, you don't have time for a social life anymore. Razz

deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Eh to each his own!  Aletheian was actually the first Christian metal band I ever discovered so there's a certain extra appreciation I have for them.

Ha, well I was working this morning with her sleeping on my lap so I'm hoping I can multi-task enough to socialize SOME on here...  Smile
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by aaljunior Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Two friends of mine and me are trying to find some christian djent, in the idea of Periphery, Monuments or even TesseracT. One of them is really hardcore into Meshuggah.

I've took a listen to Monolith (the Nexus album) and really liked it, but it doesn't sound "djenty" enough (insert Stevie T face here). It seemed more like a modern progressive/symphonic metal.
aaljunior
aaljunior

Back to top Go down

Post by aaljunior Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm

MetalPioneer wrote:I really love progressive death metal and I'm always on the search for new bands in that area.  My favorite band used to be Becoming the Archetype (until Jason left).  Does anyone have any recommendations?  In the secular realm, I really like music like Ne Obliviscaris and In Vain, who use instruments such as violins and saxophones.  I'm also a fan of stuff like Gojira, Benea Reach, and Opeth.

I already know and frequently listen to these bands:  Extol, Pantokrator, Fleshkiller, Malchus, Aletheian, Lamentations, Death Requisite, Blood Thirsty, Monotheist, Deus Invictus

I don't if The Burial would enter your requisite, but I stumbled into their song "En-Hakkore" this last week and my mind blew away.

aaljunior
aaljunior

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

aaljunior wrote:
MetalPioneer wrote:I really love progressive death metal and I'm always on the search for new bands in that area.  My favorite band used to be Becoming the Archetype (until Jason left).  Does anyone have any recommendations?  In the secular realm, I really like music like Ne Obliviscaris and In Vain, who use instruments such as violins and saxophones.  I'm also a fan of stuff like Gojira, Benea Reach, and Opeth.

I don't if The Burial would enter your requisite, but I stumbled into their song "En-Hakkore" this last week and my mind blew away.

That is a great suggestion.  I actually have the first two albums from The Burial.  For whatever reason, I can't really get into it even though I keep trying.  There a couple of songs that I like, but I feel like a lot of the times the band is technical simply to be technical.  But thanks!
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:34 pm

aaljunior wrote:Two friends of mine and me are trying to find some christian djent, in the idea of Periphery, Monuments or even TesseracT. One of them is really hardcore into Meshuggah.

I've took a listen to Monolith (the Nexus album) and really liked it, but it doesn't sound "djenty" enough (insert Stevie T face here). It seemed more like a modern progressive/symphonic metal.

That's a hard one.  I'm not sure how much Christian music is out there in that style.  Have you listened to As Hell Retreat's album Volition?  It's a very unique album, with both harsh and melodic strains, but there are some sections that remind me of djent with how they do the syncopation.  The only sad thing is that they are no longer a band Sad

As for Meshuggah, your friend may want to check out the band Krig.  They are death metal, but have a lot of riffs and beats that remind me of Meshuggah.  Here's an example in the opening of this song:

I hope that helps!
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by aaljunior Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 pm

MetalPioneer wrote:
aaljunior wrote:Two friends of mine and me are trying to find some christian djent, in the idea of Periphery, Monuments or even TesseracT. One of them is really hardcore into Meshuggah.

That's a hard one.  I'm not sure how much Christian music is out there in that style.  Have you listened to As Hell Retreat's album Volition?  It's a very unique album, with both harsh and melodic strains, but there are some sections that remind me of djent with how they do the syncopation.  The only sad thing is that they are no longer a band Sad

As for Meshuggah, your friend may want to check out the band Krig.  They are death metal, but have a lot of riffs and beats that remind me of Meshuggah.  Here's an example in the opening of this song:

I hope that helps!

We're having a hard time trying to find something in this style. I already shared with them the links. I hope they enjoy.
Also, I'll invite them to join the forum  Very Happy

As Hell Retreats, I've never heard of them. I'll definitely check them. The sad part is discovering a band that isn't playing anymore Crying or Very sad
On Krig... How could I have forgotten them? They're from my country! Maybe he'll find something to enjoy on them.

You surely helped Smile
Thanks a lot.
aaljunior
aaljunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordgier Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Any recommendations for Christian bands that sound like Pallbearer?

Sent from Topic'it App
Mordgier
Mordgier

Back to top Go down

Post by aaljunior Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Mordgier wrote:Any recommendations for Christian bands that sound like Pallbearer?

Sent from Topic'it App

I listen to it right now, but checking on their style, according to Metallum, I THINK it should have some similarity with "Evangelist", from Poland. I really like their Doominicanes album. You can find, for free, on their Bandcamp evangelistdoom(dot)bandcamp(dot)com.

--EDIT--
Oh shoot... I think that I type some words and, when I check, I haven't typed them Neutral
It was supposed to be "I can't listen to it" scratch

Last edited by aaljunior on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing word that changes the understanding.)
aaljunior
aaljunior

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Mordgier wrote:Any recommendations for Christian bands that sound like Pallbearer?

Sent from Topic'it App

Pallbearer sounds a lot like recent Pylon to me.  They also have some Black Sabbath influences.  Here are a couple of examples:

MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:05 pm

^Yup Pylon would probably be the closest thing.  Maybe Under The Sun to a lesser degree.

(I just listened to some samples of Pallbearer and they remind me a lot of Warning and 40 Watt Sun - neither Christian bands though they have clean lyrics.)
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Hentze Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:41 am

i know a german buddist band called crematory.
they play death metal.
i also know a christian band.called Sacrificium.

they play death metal.
Mark Hentze
Mark Hentze

http://superheroarchangel.angelfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Hentze Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm

A warning against a metal band:
don´t listen to Slayer.
i am afraid if i listen to Slayer god hates us all
i am gonna become gradually more and more angry
Mark Hentze
Mark Hentze

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Yes I would certainly not recommend listening to bands that are against God. As cool as the instrumentals may sound, it will always, always be negative. I think there is secular music that is neutral enough, but there are an unfortunate number of metal bands whose lyrics are full of blasphemy.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior

Back to top Go down

Band Recommendations  Empty All Out War

Post by Mark Hentze Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Has anybody heard of All Out War?
or KoRn?(korn is heathen so they are popular).
Mark Hentze
Mark Hentze

Back to top Go down

Post by Júlio Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:51 pm

i bring to friends Slaying of death. macedonian band exciting great melodic death metal,on their debut album, Spiritual Orphans.

https://slayingofdeath.bandcamp.com/releases

Júlio
Júlio

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 pm

^Not quite my style... but I do sorta dig his doom/gothic metal projects.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Júlio wrote:i bring to friends Slaying of death. macedonian band exciting great melodic death metal,on their debut album, Spiritual Orphans.

https://slayingofdeath.bandcamp.com/releases

I enjoyed the instruments quite a bit, but I found the vocals to be fairly one-dimensional.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Júlio Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:51 pm

true MetalPioneer, if it were a perfect serious instrumental album. but after someone's auditions it gets good.
Júlio
Júlio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next