Christian Headbangers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is This Band Christian?

+4
deathisgain
Mordgier
metaldude
Kerrick
8 posters

Go down

Is This Band Christian? Empty Is This Band Christian?

Post by Kerrick Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:58 pm

What makes a band "Christian" is up for debate (i.e. Stryper "we are not a Christian band") but this thread can be used for sharing info on whether/if a band has or its members have a particular stance on Christianity.  Since here we have separate sections for Christian and secular bands, this is relevant to our community though obviously fairly subjective since in the end, it's between them and God.

One thing we should be sensitive to is gossiping about peoples' personal faiths.  There's a particular case I'm thinking of where a prominent Christian metal artist renounced his faith some time ago and all the online chatter about it seemed to just harden him all the more.  That being said... I have two bands I'm curious about:

The Skull.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Skull/3540379216
Formed by some ex-Trouble members and upon a brief glance, their lyrics seem "spiritual" anyways.

All Souls' Day
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/All_Souls%27_Day/41917
Their name, cover, and song titles suggest a Christian (Catholic) influence, but that's quite typical imagery in doom metal and may not mean much.

So is anyone aware of any lyrics, interviews, or the like that might give insight into these two bands?  Or maybe there is another band you're curious about?
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Is This Band Christian? Empty Re: Is This Band Christian?

Post by metaldude Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:47 pm

The Skull makes no claims to being a Christian band, as far as I know. I think to understand them better, you should look at the early Trouble albums. There are some pretty heavy scriptural references. It might also be worth noting that Ted Kirkpatrick of Tourniquet was once a member of Trouble. There are also appearances on Tourniquet albums by at least one Trouble member. So there are some connections to Christianity, however loose they may seem. Again, I would refer to early Trouble. I'll get some links.
metaldude
metaldude

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

metaldude
metaldude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks Metaldude!  I recall on another forum from long ago when Wagner was still in Trouble that he was "high [on drugs] as a kite" while performing which doesn't bode well...  Eh maybe this is a great opportunity for me to save money hahaha.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordgier Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Is the band Black Tongue Christian? I've never heard of them before but their most recent album apparently deals with the idea of a judgment after this life.

Sent from Topic'it App
Mordgier
Mordgier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:50 pm

I've never heard of them before.  Do you have any lyrics available?
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordgier Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:06 pm

After I posted this I ended up reading the lyrics to the song "Second Death" (a strangely Christian sounding song title): https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/albums/Black-tongue/Nadir

This was an article about their new album that the band posted on their Facebook that I read that made me wonder if they were a Christian band: http://new-transcendence.com/review-black-tongue-nadir-2018/

Sent from Topic'it App
Mordgier
Mordgier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:03 am

Interesting.  Yes the themes definitely seem quite Christian indeed, though not necessarily from a Christian perspective.  It appears to be a concept album about a man's spiritual journey (ultimately to hell).  Do you know much about their previous albums' lyrical content?  Usually the most definitive answer to these questions comes in the form of interviews - or asking the band directly.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 am

I love The Skull and the kind of doom they put out. A lot of their themes (as well as Trouble) lean towards Christian, but I've never seen them as that. I did run across a used Trouble tape in a Christian book store once. I found this online where Eric explains it a little more.

It’s also around that time that Metal Blade Records started to call Trouble “white metal”.

Yeah jeez, I wish they would’ve asked us about that first. I mean, it was almost the beginning of being labeled. Back then, with the metal that was going on at that time like Slayer, Mercyful Fate, bands that had dark lyrics and stuff- everyone thought that they were satanic, when really they’re not. I grew up on a different side, so I put a little twist to the lyrics. I put maybe a little bit of hope into the lyrics, but I probably said just as many “Lucifers” as they did back then you know? Metal Blade didn’t really know what to do with it, so they came up with that gimmick right there, which ended up giving us a certain label. When you get labeled… don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with being a Christian, or doing whatever makes you feel good but once you’re labeled something, some people may not give the music the chance it deserves because of that label instead of listening to the music themselves and making their own minds up, you know what I mean? I took us a little bit of time to get rid of that label. I remember around the time we went to Def American, there was an article that said “Christian Rockers Or Drunken Metalheads?” [laughs] I wasn’t out to save anybody, I was just exploring my life.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/07/22/in-depth-interview-with-the-skullformer-trouble-vocalist-eric-wagner/

deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:15 am

Cool, thanks for the info!
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 am

Anyone know anything about Tyrant?  Their albums are available on one or two online Christian metal stores and they have a couple prominent crosses in their logo - as well as some some Christian themes in their music... but Robert Lowe (of Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass...) is now their vocalist who I believe typically writes lyrics that are rather at odds with Christianity (though he did sing for Last Chapter).
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Kerrick wrote:Anyone know anything about Tyrant?  Their albums are available on one or two online Christian metal stores and they have a couple prominent crosses in their logo - as well as some some Christian themes in their music... but Robert Lowe (of Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass...) is now their vocalist who I believe typically writes lyrics that are rather at odds with Christianity (though he did sing for Last Chapter).

My gut on this one says no, but I couldn't find definitive evidence. Part of it is that they've been around for a long time, but I've never seen them on any Christian metal lists or mentioned as being Christian. But then again, a few of their lyrics indicate Christian themes, so...

MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Yeah they seem like maybe a band with some Christians in it which is reflective in the lyrics.  I did find this interview though:

What does the CD title [King Of Kings] mean exactly?
Glen : Are you kidding? King Of Kings, Lord Of Lords, God, our Creator!

I really dig their sound but am concerned that I'll fall in love with their first three albums then get their upcoming fourth, only to find a drastic shift in their lyrics - much like what happened with Solitude Aeturnus' lyrics.  Maybe I'll just wait until #4 comes out.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

I saw a discussion about the re-releases on FB and someone was quite perturbed over the "f-bomb" usage in one of Tyrant's songs - which I wasn't aware of prior.  FYI.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Hentze Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:51 am

a reply to the one who ask about tyrant
no tyrant are not a christian band.
i know nothing about them.
but i saw them in the magazine Terrorizer.
Mark Hentze
Mark Hentze

http://superheroarchangel.angelfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks Mark.  Did you read something in Terrorizer that confirms that?
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Hentze Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:42 pm

if they are in a secular magazine then i guess they are secular
Mark Hentze
Mark Hentze

http://superheroarchangel.angelfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:52 am

kerrick, I know you love doom.
Trouble are the king's of doom!
crucifyd
crucifyd

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 pm

I do love me some dooooooom! I never got into Trouble though due to some of their lyrics and whatnot. Maybe one of these days I'll give 'em another shot.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Anyone know anything about Altar Of Oblivion? Someone on a Christian metal facebook page said they were Christian but for some reason I have in my mind that they were particularly not... though I could be wrong. Here's their Metal Archives page:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Altar_of_Oblivion/101486
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Júlio Wed May 20, 2020 4:46 pm

on altar of Oblivion I will not enter anything specific that is a Christian band. maybe if we go deeper into the lyrics we can get that answer. about trouble, I really like the band. I heard a lot at the beginning of my walk. even if they run away from that label. his music has been touching hearts and winning souls for Christ.
Júlio
Júlio

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:26 pm

What do folks know about Helloween? I know they're not a "Christian band" but some of their lyrics seem pretty explicitly Christian.
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon May 09, 2022 3:50 pm

Does anyone know anything about Mournful Gust? I remember stumbling upon them years ago and loving their sound, though their lyrics were a bit too depressive for me. They have a new album out now and the lyrics seem to possibly have some Christian themes... Any info would be appreciated!

Check out lyrics here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mournful_Gust/Fly_Sorrow_Fly/930289

Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down