Christian Headbangers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums

2 posters

Go down

2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums Empty 2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums

Post by MetalPioneer Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:56 pm

What are your top 10 favorite Christian metal and/or rock albums from 2022? There are a ton of awesome releases this year, so I'm excited to see what other people think!
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums Empty Re: 2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums

Post by MetalPioneer Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:06 pm

These are my favorites. It was very hard to choose, as there have been so many great albums this year!

1. Jonava - Even Death Will Die
2. Seventh Servant - The Tree of Life
3. Becoming the Archetype - Children of the Great Extinction
4. SorrowStorm - Triune Eminence
5. Brotality - The Woods Will End You
6. Marble Tomb - Dawn of the Vertical Flame
7. Testimony of Apocalypse - None Escape the Judgment
8. Omegashift - Doctrine of Dust
9. Krig - Anthropos
10. Scarlet Oath - Where Their Worm Dieth Not
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums Empty Re: 2022 Top 10 Christian Metal and Rock Albums

Post by Kerrick Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm

^Some good picks!

I finally got around to making my top-9 list for 2022 (since I only bought nine Christian metal albums released that year).  Take the order with a grain of salt because it changes by the day!

Albums
1.      Omegashift – Doctrine Of Dust.  I was blown away by their first single Lazarus Brigade and was instantly hooked.  This is progressive female-fronted doom of high quality that’s not afraid of experimentation – which makes for a very unique and organic feel.  While the bulk of the band are veterans in the scene (check out two of the members’ past band Tonka!) and play very proficiently, the singer needs special note.  She’s allegedly not so much a metalhead and brings to the table an amazing performance but also quite diverse and non‑typical vocal melodies that helps push this release to the top of my list.
2.      Trinity – Memories Of The Ancient Presence.  “Haunting” is the most commonly used descriptor I’ve seen for this album and I couldn’t think of a better adjective.  This epic doom metal project from the Czech Republic has incredible atmosphere that’s difficult to describe: it’s got an almost otherworldly feel but also somehow retro…  Regardless, it’s a stellar album without a weak track.
3.      Miriam - Murrun ja vaikenen.  This isn’t a metal album, but it’s an acoustic album from a metal band so I’ll include it.  😊  Miriam reimagined songs from their previous two albums [plus one more song I’m not familiar with] into acoustic versions for this one.  I’m very impressed with how well they were able to breathe fresh new life into these tracks while still maintaining the essence of the originals.
4.      Preterist – Blood Moon Rising.  Preterist burst onto the scene with an amazing debut of progressive and ultra‑melodic power metal with theologically deeper lyrics than most.  The songs are ridiculously catchy and well crafted, and every instrument is expertly played.
5.      Marble Tomb – Dawn Of The Vertical Flame.  Calling this a “perfect” black metal album may be an exaggeration since what’s perfect, but dangit this album somehow merges and executes all the elements of black metal so well.  It’s dark, catchy, triumphant, sorrowful, melodic…  So good!  There has been very little black metal that’s really captivated me but this album is a cut above the majority of others and sure to be a modern‑day classic.
6.      Midnight Worship – The Darkness.  This is some cool prog metal with a darker and more atmospheric vibe than typical in the genre.  Most of the lyrics are straight from Scripture which earns extra points from me.
7.      7th Servant – The Tree Of Life.  It’s a great concept to take Scripture and put it to rockin’ music.  This album is very well done and enjoyable.
8.      Becoming The Archetype – Children Of The Great Extinction.  BTA made a surprise comeback with this album and it’s solid.  I don’t find myself itching for this type of music much these days, but for what it is, it’s very good.
9.      Sorrowstorm – Triune Eminence.  This album is much more melodic and epic than Sorrowstorm’s previous works and for the most part I really dig the new direction.  Though admittedly some of the clean vocals aren’t my cup of tea.  Nonetheless there’s a lot of great music here and also some deeper lyrics than is typical for the genre.

2022 brought some great stuff not released on full-length albums.  Here are some of my favorite EPs and singles:

EPs:
1.      Karv – Abominations Of The Canaanite.  Top-notch black metal; I hope to hear more from this project!
2.      The Lightness – Let There Be.  This is some very interesting heavy metal that’s got a bit of a retro feel.  I hope they make more music!
3.      Golgatha – Prisoner.  I don’t believe this was ever properly released back in the day, so I’ll count it here.  Upbeat melodic classic metal with bold lyrics.

Singles:
1.      Angel Distress – Fallen In Pain.  I had this single basically on repeat since it was released.  Doom/Death metal done right!
2.      Warpriest – In A Land Without A Sun.  DOOOOM.
3.      Warpriest – Curse Of The Living Dead.  A very cool doomy dirge from CMR’s DeathIsGain!
4.      Warpriest – Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence.  2022’s Warpriest Christmas song does not disappoint!
5.      Longing – Polaris.  Post-black metal from this eclectic project.  Be on the lookout for more music from him!
6. Llafineve - I Am. Melancholic death metal the Finnish way! The guy behind Llafineve has released a handful of various singles but I really wish he'd make a proper album!
7. Within Silence – Flame Of Peace. A Christmas song from these Slovak power metallers. It’s not going to revolutionize the genre, but it’s a very nice song!
Kerrick
Kerrick

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Okay Kerrick so I finally got around to listening to some of the stuff on your list that I hadn't heard.

The Preterist album is great. I saw a few people post about it in different places, but I hadn't listened to it yet. Great power metal with some proggy moments. Some of it reminded me of Harmony and I could hear Dream Theater influence.

Both Midnight Worship albums were on Spotify, so I listened to them. The first album was barely metal, mostly acoustic/ambient. It was kind of hard for me to get into. The Darkness was much better, although I'm not sure if it's something I'll come back to often. The music has kind of a sitting around the campfire feel. That's not necessarily bad, but I have to be in the mood for it.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:32 pm

Right on! Yeah that Preterist album is really top-notch. It's amazingly catchy too; reminding me of a more progressive Within Silence at times. Great stuff!

Midnight Worship is a bit of a niche style for sure. I actually prefer the more atmospheric s/t than The Darkness, but like both quite a bit. The guys are in a couple other projects too: Sombre Holiday (their main band, progressive metal) and Freezing Terror (heavy/thrash/prog metal).
Kerrick
Kerrick

MetalPioneer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down