Christian Headbangers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Frosthardr!

+3
Zymologist
aaljunior
MetalPioneer
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Frosthardr! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Frosthardr!

Post by Deepfriar Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 am

MetalPioneer wrote:
Deepfriar wrote:I think this album is definitely a grower. My first listen I was thinking around 85/100, but after second listen I'm leaning more toward 90/100. I dig the variety of songwriting and tempos. These guys are definitely pros and this is a great addition to the Christian black metal scene. I don't think I'd put it in a top 10 albums or anything like that (unless it continues to grow on me), but it is fantastic. I'll hopefully get time to give it a 3rd listen through this weekend.

90/100 is a very high score.  As someone who reviews albums, I only give a 9/10 to an amazing album (not to say I wouldn't have given it to this one, had I reviewed it).  I don't think I've ever given a 10/10.  Do you mean top 10 Christian black metal albums of all time, or like a top 10 for the year?  Just curious.

And I definitely agree, there's a lot of variety in the music.

Yeah, 90 is a little high but honestly the music is executed at a very high level on this release. There are more listens in the near future and I may rescind my grade or revert back to 85/100 but I think this is a very good release!

I meant top 10 Christian black metal albums, yes. There are VERY few I would give 100/100... Antestor - TROTBD is one. I guess when I try to figure out a score I look at the other albums I rank in that vicinity and try to see how the one in question compares. I give the most recent Hortor release probably 70-75/100 and the Frosthardr is quite a bit better.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Deepfriar wrote:
MetalPioneer wrote:
Deepfriar wrote:I think this album is definitely a grower. My first listen I was thinking around 85/100, but after second listen I'm leaning more toward 90/100. I dig the variety of songwriting and tempos. These guys are definitely pros and this is a great addition to the Christian black metal scene. I don't think I'd put it in a top 10 albums or anything like that (unless it continues to grow on me), but it is fantastic. I'll hopefully get time to give it a 3rd listen through this weekend.

90/100 is a very high score.  As someone who reviews albums, I only give a 9/10 to an amazing album (not to say I wouldn't have given it to this one, had I reviewed it).  I don't think I've ever given a 10/10.  Do you mean top 10 Christian black metal albums of all time, or like a top 10 for the year?  Just curious.

And I definitely agree, there's a lot of variety in the music.

Yeah, 90 is a little high but honestly the music is executed at a very high level on this release. There are more listens in the near future and I may rescind my grade or revert back to 85/100 but I think this is a very good release!

I meant top 10 Christian black metal albums, yes. There are VERY few I would give 100/100... Antestor - TROTBD is one. I guess when I try to figure out a score I look at the other albums I rank in that vicinity and try to see how the one in question compares. I give the most recent Hortor release probably 70-75/100 and the Frosthardr is quite a bit better.

Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply for this.  Work has been kicking my butt lately.  I agree that it is probably good enough to make it into a top 10 list, which is saying a lot.    I could never get into Antestor's Return of the Black Death as much as their other albums, for whatever reason.  To me, their true masterpiece is The Forsaken, but I suppose it's a matter of preference.

If I had to name my top 10 Christian black metal albums, it would be something like this:

1. Antestor - The Forsaken
2. Horde - Hellig Usvart
3. Vials of Wrath - Days Without Names
4. Evroklidon - The Flame of Sodom
5. Grave Declaration - Where Dying Souls Scream Praise
6. Demoniciduth - Enemy of Satan
7. Antestor - Omen
8.  Lengsel - Solace
9. Fearscape - Scent of Divine Blood
10. Slechtvalk - The War That Plagues the Lands

And these would probably be in the running:

Ancient Plague - Archaic Kingdoms
Eternal Emperor - In the Beginning
Kekal - Embrace the Dead
The Slave Eye - Unto Hades

The order of these albums might change depending on what day you asked me lol...

Not including Crimson Moonlight, Extol, or A Hill to Die Upon because I think they fall more into the "blackened death metal" camp.

I'm not sure what Frosthardr would supplant.  Maybe the Fearscape album?

Feel free to criticize my taste because some of these are not "trve" or "kvlt" black metal albums, haha.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks for the well thought out response!

I think you misread my original post though. I said I would "NOT" put it in a top 10 albums list (the new Frosthardr) but that it is very good.

That is a good list you have there. I would have to really give my top 10 list some thought but I would probably include hybrids like CM and AHTDU.

I like that you included Evroklidon, very underrated release.

I have not heard that Fearscape or Ancient Plague, I may give those a listen soon when I'm in the mood to sample new music. Budget has been kind of tight lately so I'm having to pick and choose my purchases.

Anyway, happy Monday! I may think on the top 10 list and make a new thread some time.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Deepfriar wrote:Thanks for the well thought out response!

I think you misread my original post though. I said I would "NOT" put it in a top 10 albums list (the new Frosthardr) but that it is very good.

That is a good list you have there. I would have to really give my top 10 list some thought but I would probably include hybrids like CM and AHTDU.

I like that you included Evroklidon, very underrated release.

I have not heard that Fearscape or Ancient Plague, I may give those a listen soon when I'm in the mood to sample new music. Budget has been kind of tight lately so I'm having to pick and choose my purchases.

Anyway, happy Monday! I may think on the top 10 list and make a new thread some time.

Yeah I totally misread that lol.  Anyway, Fearscape is a cool Australian band if you get a chance to listen to them.  Just a warning, Ancient Plague is really weird.  I guess the best way to describe it would be atmospheric black metal?  Anyway, go into that one with an open mind.  I think it took quite a few listens to really "click" with me.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 am

Okay guys, there's something kind of hilarious that I've held in for a long while now and since the band included a re-record of 'Varg' on the new release, I have to let it out.

At Varg 3:04, does anyone else think of Knight Rider???
Deepfriar
Deepfriar

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:57 pm

MetalPioneer wrote:Fearscape is a cool Australian band if you get a chance to listen to them.  Just a warning, Ancient Plague is really weird.  I guess the best way to describe it would be atmospheric black metal?  Anyway, go into that one with an open mind.  I think it took quite a few listens to really "click" with me.

Okay, so I sampled both yesterday and must say I really like Fearscape! Another item to add to my want list. I couldn't get into Ancient Plague, but to be fair I was forewarned. Thanks for the recommendations though!
Deepfriar
Deepfriar

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalPioneer Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Deepfriar wrote:
MetalPioneer wrote:Fearscape is a cool Australian band if you get a chance to listen to them.  Just a warning, Ancient Plague is really weird.  I guess the best way to describe it would be atmospheric black metal?  Anyway, go into that one with an open mind.  I think it took quite a few listens to really "click" with me.

Okay, so I sampled both yesterday and must say I really like Fearscape! Another item to add to my want list. I couldn't get into Ancient Plague, but to be fair I was forewarned. Thanks for the recommendations though!

Glad you like them.  It makes me sad that they aren't producing any new music for the foreseeable future.
MetalPioneer
MetalPioneer

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 am

I think it's a very good album. I like some of their older content a little more (the doom elements on the Maktesløs EP were better than on the album, imo) but it is still very good. I wrote a review of it on The Blackest Light.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum